Homemade Beefaroni Casserole is a twist on a childhood classic that the entire family will love. With a delicious tomato beef sauce, tender noodles, and a cheesy topping, this is way better than the canned stuff!
Cheesy Beef and Macaroni Casserole
We all need comfort food sometimes and on busy weeknights, this Homemade Beefaroni Casserole with Cheese is going to be a huge hit. A pasta dish with layers of flavors, this easy meal takes Chef Boyardee Beefaroni to a whole new level.
Lots of people have a special place in their hearts for Beefaroni and I am the same way. When I was in college and first out on my own, Beefaroni was something I bought all the time. It was an easy dinner that was affordable and tasty.
As I’ve gotten older, that hasn’t changed. It’s still something that I indulge in occasionally and really enjoy, which is the inspiration for this kid-friendly dinner.
Using mostly pantry staples, even picky eaters will enjoy this baked Beefaroni with cheese! You can get the simple ingredients at any grocery store and it’s perfect for a chilly night or lazy Sunday.
What Is The Difference Between American Goulash And Homemade Beefaroni?
American Goulash (also called American Chop Suey) is similar to Homemade Beefaroni in that it has lean ground beef, elbow macaroni pasta, and a delicious tomato meat sauce.
That said, American Goulash often has more fresh ingredients (such as bell pepper), while this easy homemade beefaroni recipe is a bit more stripped down to be closer to the canned version.
- You can use shredded cheddar cheese or Monterey Jack cheese instead of Colby Jack.
- If you are making a double batch or you don’t have a skillet with higher sides, move everything to a large saucepan before adding your cooked pasta.
- Offer some parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes on the table to add a little kick to this simple recipe.
- Serve this with garlic bread and a simple side salad to round out a complete meal.
How To Make Homemade Beefaroni Casserole
Homemade Beefaroni Casserole Ingredients:
1 1/2 lbs ground beef, browned and drained
8 oz elbow pasta
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 white onion, diced
1 can crushed tomatoes 28 oz
2 cups beef broth
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon ground mustard
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon dry oregano
2 cups Colby Jack cheese, divided
1 heaping tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon water
Large casserole dish
Large or medium saucepan
Large frying pan or cast iron skillet
Flexible spatula or wooden spoon
Small mixing bowl
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Chop the onions into small pieces and cook your elbow macaroni noodles to al dente according to the package directions. Drain it and set it aside.
Step 2: In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Cook the diced onions until tender.
Step 3: Stir in the cooked ground beef until it is well mixed.
Step 4: Add the tomatoes, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, ground mustard, pepper, salt, paprika, oregano, and 1 cup of cheese to the skillet. Stir well.
Step 5: In a small bowl, create a slurry by stirring together cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of water.
Pour the slurry into the skillet with the tomato sauce mixture and simmer over medium heat until it has slightly thickened.
Step 6: Add the elbow noodles to the beef mixture and combine well.
Step 7: Pour the entire mixture into the prepared casserole dish. Top it with the remaining cheese.
Step 8: Bake for about 20 minutes until the edges are bubbly and the cheese has melted.
Step 9: Allow your cheesy beefaroni casserole to rest for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Can I Use A Different Meat In This Easy Beefaroni Recipe?
To make your homemade version closest to the classic recipe you’ll want to use high fat or extra lean ground beef, but you can make yours any way you want to.
If you would rather use ground turkey or ground chicken in your beefaroni dish, it will still taste great and they are easy replacements.
How To Store Leftover Homemade Beefaroni Casserole
Store any beefaroni leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Are You Looking For More Tasty Pasta Recipes? Here Are Some Of My Favorites:
- Easy Pepperoni Pasta Bake
- Shrimp and Crab Lemon Garlic Pasta
- Leftover Turkey Tetrazzini Casserole
- Spicy Baked Mac and Cheese
- Easy Cheesy Penne Rigate Casserole
Klee Enameled Cast Iron Pan | Lasagna Pan, Large Roasting Pan, Tundra Collection, Casserole Dishes for the Oven | Oval Casserole Dish Set of 3LE REGALO Stoneware Oval Baking Dish, 14×9.5×2.5, WhiteSENSARTE 12 Inch Nonstick Deep Frying Pan,5 Qt Non Stick Saute Pan with Lid,Large Skillet Pan,NonStick Jumbo Cooker,Cooking Pan Chefs Pan Cookware for All Stove Tops,Induction Compatible,PFOA FreeLuminarc 10-Piece Set Stackable Bowl Set,ClearOXO Good Grips 3-Piece Wooden Spoon Set2 Pack Flexible Silicone Spatula Turner, 600°F Heat Resistant Silicone Spatula Set for Nonstick Cookware, Kitchen Plastic Spatula Flippers for Egg, Cookie, Pancake/ Silicone Grip
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef, browned and drained
- 8 oz elbow pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 can crushed tomatoes 28 oz
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 2 cups Colby Jack cheese, divided
- 1 heaping tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Chop the onions and cook your macaroni to al dente according to the package directions. Drain it and set it aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Cook the onion until tender.
- Stir in the cooked ground beef until it is well mixed.
- Add the tomatoes, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, ground mustard, pepper, salt, paprika, oregano, and 1 cup of cheese to the skillet. Stir well.
- In a small bowl, create a slurry by stirring together cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of water. Pour the slurry into the skillet with the beef mixture and simmer over medium heat until it has slightly thickened.
- Pour the macaroni into the beef mixture and combine well.
- Pour the entire mixture into the prepared casserole dish. Top it with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until the edges are bubbly and the cheese has melted.
- Allow the casserole to rest for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
If you are making a double batch or you don't have a skillet with higher sides, move everything to a large saucepan before adding your cooked pasta.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 644Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 138mgSodium: 1275mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 4gSugar: 7gProtein: 47g
This calculation is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a doctor or dietitian. This calculator is a guide, but makes no guarantee of being exact or fully accurate.