Bacon And Cheese Pasta Salad
As far as I am concerned, there is nothing better than cheese. So when you’re looking for something a little more festive for a barbecue or gathering, bacon and cheese is going to be your answer! This Bacon and Cheese Southwestern Pasta is light and delicious. It is excellent just the way it is, but you could add some additional colored peppers or black beans if you want to bulk it up a little more. Have fun with it! And pair it with Macaroni Egg Salad if you are looking for additional barbecue side options!
Bacon And Cheese Pasta Salad Recipe
12 oz elbow macaroni
1 Spanish onion, diced
1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
1 cup bacon, cooked and diced (approximately 5-6 pieces)
1/2 block of Colby Jack cheese, shredded (about 4 oz or to taste)
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
3 Tbsp vinegar
1 Tbsp honey
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 small canned chipotle chile, minced (set liquid aside)
2 tsp adobo sauce (from canned chipotle chile above)
1 tsp sea salt
Bring a large pot of water to boil, add your pasta and cook for 8-10 minutes. Drain it in a colander and allow the pasta to cool. Cook your bacon (in your preferred method) until crispy. Remove the bacon from the pan/plate and place it on paper towels to drain the grease. Cut your bacon into small pieces.
Peel, cut and dice the onion. Core, seed, and dice the red pepper. Put both in a medium size bowl. Add your pasta, cilantro, and bacon, then stir to combine. Pull out your cheese grater and shred your block of cheese into the bowl and set aside.
In a medium size bowl or food processor, mix together your mayo, sour cream, vinegar, honey, sugar, minced chile, adobo sauce, and salt. If you have time to chill this dressing overnight, I would recommend it so that the flavors can marry a bit more. If not, stir it right into your pasta bowl and mix to combine well. You can serve this warm or cold depending on your preference.
- 12 oz elbow macaroni
- 1 Spanish onion, diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 cup bacon, cooked and diced (approximately 5-6 pieces)
- 1/2 block of Colby Jack cheese, shredded (about 4 oz or to taste)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 Tbsp vinegar
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 small canned chipotle chile, minced (set liquid aside)
- 2 tsp adobo sauce
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Bring a large pot of water to boil, add pasta and cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Drain your pasta and leave in a colander. Allow it to cool.
- Cook bacon until crispy.
- Place on paper towels to drain grease.
- Cut into small pieces.
- Peel, cut and dice the onion.
- Core, seed and dice the red pepper.
- Put onion, pepper and cilantro in a medium size bowl.
- Add pasta and bacon.
- Using a grater, shred your block of cheese and mix into the bowl.
- To make the dressing, stir all ingredients together in a medium size bowl or combine in a food processor.
- Chill overnight to enrich the flavor (if possible).
- Pour the dressing over the salad, stirring to mix well.
- Serve warm or cold.