Vegan Potato Salad
Potato salad is so versatile, and it is the ultimate comfort food. It is also a mark of individuality and creativity in a chef. Everyone seems to have their own signature version, often handed down and tweaked over time. It’s a staple at potlucks and get-togethers and perfect for a casual barbecue or easy weeknight side. There’s really a lot to love about potato salad.
Unless, of course, you don’t love mayo. However, mayo isn’t the only way to make a delicious, fulfilling, and comforting potato salad. This recipe combines the joy of potato salad with the flavorful pop of an everything bagel, another favorite comfort staple.
There’s something about an everything bagel. It’s a rich ring of doughy goodness peppered with the delightful dots of seasonings. Each bite is a burst of flavor that’s uniquely its own.
Now, you can combine both of these fantastic dishes into one, creating a comfort food that’s perfect for vegans or anyone who is avoiding eggs and dairy. The final product is a creamy, filling dish that’s bursting with flavor.
This recipe is really quite simple. It starts with potatoes (of course!) and adds tahini to get the creamy richness of a mayo-based potato salad. Then it adds onion powder and Dijon mustard for an extra punch of taste.
If you want to make this dish a little more nutritious, consider adding arugula. Combined with the tahini (which contains fat that makes it easy to absorb the vitamins and phytochemicals), it adds both color and nutrients.
Another great variation adds diced pickles for an added crunch and the bright flavor of dill.
Add this recipe to your list this summer for a great treat that’s as versatile as it is delicious, and don’t be afraid to experiment and make it your own!
- For every cup of potatoes, I like to use a tablespoon of sauce for a good coating.
- Because the sauce is so easy to make, I like to meal-prep the potatoes ahead of time for the week and just make more sauce as needed.
- As the pictures indicate, I used my bullet blender to make this batch, but you can also use a countertop model and scale up the recipe to make a whole bunch in advance or a large portion for a party.
- Any leftover sauce is also great to spread on sandwiches or to even use a salad dressing.
- I’m using an Everything Bagel Seasoning from Trader Joe’s, but you can find this in a wide variety of places, including your local supermarket. If you can’t find it there, a quick search will reveal tons of cheap/easy places to order it online.
- When you boil the potatoes, place them into cold water and turn the heat up on your stove rather than putting them into boiling water. This will help them cook evenly.
- Don’t skip the flaxseeds as it will create that mayo-like thickness.
Cutting the Potatoes
Here’s how I like to cut the potatoes to get the perfect chunks for potato salad.
- First, cut the potato in half long ways.
- Then, take that half and cut it long ways down the middle.
- Proceed to make 4-6 slices perpendicular to the long slice that you just made.
- You’re left with the perfect potato salad chunks!
Vegan Potato Salad Recipe
8-10 medium potatoes, boiled and cooled
Everything Bagel Seasoning (Trade Joe’s or other brand)
Vegan Mustard Mayo Sauce
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup tahini
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp ground flaxseed
1/2 tsp onion powder
Cut the potatoes and boil them until they are soft.
While the potatoes are boiling, blend up the vegan mustard mayo sauce with all the ingredients.
Add the water first to give everything the best chance of blending without getting stuck to the sides.
When potatoes are soft, strain with a colander and run cool water over them.
Serve 1 cup of cooked potatoes with 1 tbsp of sauce or add as much sauce as you’d like!
Season with Everything Bagel Seasoning, plus add arugula and pickles if desired.
DOWAN 22oz Porcelain Soup/Cereal Bowls – 4 Packs, WhiteSweese 1101 Porcelain Bowls – 18 Ounce for Cereal, Salad, Dessert – Set of 6, WhiteHOMWE Kitchen Cutting Board (3-Piece Set) | Juice Grooves w/ Easy-Grip Handles | BPA-Free, Non-Porous, Dishwasher Safe | Multiple Sizes (Set of Three, Gray)Nicole Home Collection Flexible Plastic Cutting Board Mats set, Colorful Kitchen Cutting Board Set of 3 Colored MatsVremi 15 Piece Nonstick Cookware Set – Colored Kitchen Pots and Pans Set Nonstick with Cooking Utensils – Purple Teal Red Blue Yellow Pots and Non Stick Pans SetCuisinart C77SS-15PK 15-Piece Stainless Steel Hollow Handle Block Set