Grilled Coconut Pineapple Shrimp Skewers are the main dish you need at your summer barbecue! With sweet pineapples, a spicy sauce, and a smoky flavor, these are sure to be a huge hit!
Coconut Shrimp Kabobs With Pineapple
Easy Shrimp recipes can be challenging to find for grilling season, but these Grilled Coconut Pineapple Shrimp Skewers are the perfect main course! With only a few simple ingredients, you can have a healthy meal ready in 45 minutes!
A fun twist on Hawaiian shrimp kabobs, these low carb skewers are made with Thai sweet chili sauce and coconut cream. Both of these should be available in the Asian section of your grocery store and will give your ingredients a creamy sweet flavor that will make your taste buds happy.
My favorite part of this recipe is that you don’t have to be a grill master to cook these. They truly are an easy coconut shrimp recipe and anyone can make them!
- You can use sriracha sauce, peri-peri sauce, Cholula sauce, or any other hot sauce of your choice.
- Do not leave the chili sauce mixture in the refrigerator for much longer than 1/2 hour or you may find that the coconut milk has begun to harden.
- Metal skewers, wooden skewers, and bamboo skewers will all work for this recipe. If you use wood or bamboo, you may want to soak them in cold water for 30 minutes before grilling to prevent burning.
- These can be made on an indoor or outdoor grill and with either electric or charcoal. You can also use a grill pan in a pinch, but keep an eye on the shrimp as the cook time may be slightly different.
- Serve with some additional sweet chili sauce, hot sauce, pineapple juice, or lime juice.
- These pair beautifully with brown rice, cauliflower rice, or some grilled vegetables.
How To Make Grilled Coconut Pineapple Shrimp Skewers
Grilled Coconut Pineapple Shrimp Skewers Ingredients:
3 large slices fresh pineapple
1/2 cup coconut cream
1/4 cup sweet chili sauce
2 teaspoons sriracha sauce or hot sauce
18 raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
Large mixing bowl
Mixing bowl cover or cling wrap
Kitchen spoon or wooden spoon
6 Grilling skewers
Electric or charcoal grill
Step 1: Cut your large pineapple so that you have three large pineapple rounds. You can leave them circular or use a sharp cookie cutter to slice the edges into designs.
Cut each full slice into four pieces, so that you have twelve total chunks.
Step 2: In a large bowl, combine the coconut cream, sweet chili sauce, and hot sauce.
Step 3: Add the pineapple chunks and fresh shrimp to the coconut mixture and mix well.
Step 4: Cover the bowl with a lid or plastic wrap, place it in the refrigerator, and let the shrimp marinade marry for half an hour.
Step 5: Take out your grilling skewers and add one shrimp, a piece of pineapple, another shrimp, another piece of pineapple, and a third shrimp. Thread shrimp and pineapple for six total skewers.
Step 6: Pour a bit more spicy sauce over the shrimp and pineapple skewers if you don’t feel that everything has been covered sufficiently.
Step 7: Grill in a single layer over medium-high heat until the shrimp are well cooked, about 2-3 minutes per side.
Serve the spicy pineapple shrimp skewers hot with some lime wedges and enjoy!
How To Store Leftover Grilled Coconut Pineapple Shrimp Skewers
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
What Type Of Shrimp Should I Use For This Pineapple Kabobs Recipe?
The best shrimp for this family favorite is either large shrimp or jumbo shrimp. Anything smaller may burn on the grill.
Make sure that you are using raw deveined shrimp, as it will easily become rubbery shrimp if it’s already cooked.
If you are using frozen shrimp, thaw them under cold running water for a few minutes so that they don’t change your cooking time or the ability to cook the shrimp thoroughly.
Can I Use Cream Of Coconut Instead Of Coconut Cream?
No. Cream of coconut and coconut cream are not the same thing, so be careful not to make that mistake in this pineapple shrimp skewer recipe.
Coconut cream typically includes only coconut and water (and sometimes guar gum for stabilizing) and is like coconut milk, but is thicker with a higher fat content.
Cream of coconut is a sweetened and processed product that is used in baking or mixing a Pina Colada.
Can I Add Anything Else To These Shrimp Pineapple Skewers?
Yes! The easiest options to add are either large slices of red onion or various bell peppers. This will work with orange bell pepper, red bell pepper, or green bell pepper, but each will give you a slightly different flavor.
The biggest issue you may have when adding vegetables is that you may not have quite enough sauce. Luckily, this is a fairly quick marinade, so if you don’t think you have enough to cover the handful of ingredients, double the recipe for the sauce before putting the bowl in the refrigerator.
Can I Prepare The Skewers In Advance And Refrigerate Them?
Yes! You can prepare your sweet coconut shrimp kabobs the night before and grill them the next day.
Are You Looking For More Tasty Grilled Recipes? Here Are Some Of My Favorites:
- Grilled Corn And Avocado Salad With Feta Cheese
- Sweet and Spicy Corn on the Cob
- Mexican Pizza on the Grill
- Bacon Wrapped Asparagus on the Grill
- Easy Grilled Green Beans
12PCS Kabob Skewers Flat Metal Stainless Steel BBQ Barbecue Skewer 14Barbecue Skewers, CMYK 6-Pack 13DTmasao 200PCS 6 inch Bamboo Skewers for wooden sticks， BBQ，Appetiser，Fruit，Cocktail，Kabob，Chocolate Fountain，Grilling，Kitchen，crafting and Party. Φ=3mm, More Size Choices 8KitchenAid Classic Prep Bowls with Lids, Set of 4, Empire Red14 Inch Charcoal Grill, HaSteeL Portable & Mini BBQ Grilling Smoker, Great for Outdoor Cooking Backyard Garden Camping Picnic Barbecue, Enamel Black Lid, Plus a ScrewdriverOVENTE Indoor Electric BBQ Grill with Non-stick Grilling Plate, Adjustable Temperature Control, Easy to Clean Cooking Surface and Removable Drip Tray, Perfect for Small House Party, Black GD1632NLB
- 3 large slices fresh pineapple
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1/4 cup sweet chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons sriracha sauce or hot sauce
- 18-20 raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Cut your pineapple so that you have three large pineapple rounds. You can leave them circular or use a sharp cookie cutter to slice the edges into designs.
- Cut each full slice into four pieces, so that you have twelve total chunks.
- In a large bowl, combine the coconut cream, sweet chili sauce, and hot sauce.
- Add the pineapple chunks and fresh shrimp to the bowl and mix well.
- Cover the bowl with a lid or plastic wrap, place it in the refrigerator, and let the flavors marry for half an hour.
- Take out your grilling skewers and add one shrimp, a piece of pineapple, another shrimp, another piece of pineapple, and a third shrimp. Do this for six total skewers.
- Pour a bit more sauce over the skewers if you don't feel that everything has been covered sufficiently.
- Grill over medium-high heat until the shrimp are well cooked, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Serve the spicy pineapple shrimp skewers hot and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
7 Piece Mixing Bowls with Lids for Kitchen, YIHONG Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls Set Ideal for Baking, Prepping, Cooking and Serving Food, Nesting Metal Bowls for Space Saving Storage
Folding Portable Barbecue Charcoal Grill, Barbecue Desk Tabletop Outdoor Stainless Steel Smoker BBQ for Outdoor Cooking Camping Picnics Beach (M1)
Good Cook 12-inch Bamboo Skewers, 100 Count
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 339Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 50mgSodium: 345mgCarbohydrates: 61gFiber: 3gSugar: 54gProtein: 7g
This calculation is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a doctor or dietitian. This calculator is a guide, but makes no guarantee of being exact or fully accurate.