Pecan Pie Cake Bars are a fun twist on traditional pecan pie. With a delicious cake mix crust, a sweet filling, and crunchy pecans, it doesn’t get much better!
When you’re looking for new recipes that will hit the spot, sometimes it’s fun to put a creative spin on a staple. These Pecan Pie Cake Bars are just that kind of treat!
Also called Pecan Pie Surprise Bars, this easy recipe includes a box of yellow cake mix in addition to a few other baking staples. It will be a favorite of both expert and novice bakers, so don’t let the pictures intimidate you at all.
Anyone can make these delicious Pecan Pie Bars and – particularly if you are a fan of pecan pie – the hardest part is going to be keeping them on the plate!
- Be sure to set aside 2/3 cup dry cake mix before combining the initial mixture together.
- Either regular corn syrup or light corn syrup will work in this easy dessert.
- You can use light brown sugar for a lighter flavor or dark brown sugar for a deeper flavor.
- Using a parchment paper sling is the easiest way to remove the pecan bars from the baking dish, but if you don’t want to use one or don’t have any parchment paper, you can spray the dish with nonstick cooking spray and cut them from there directly.
- These can be served hot or cold. They’re delicious either way!
How To Make Pecan Pie Cake Bars
Pecan Pie Cake Bars Ingredients:
1 box yellow cake mix, divided
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
4 large eggs, divided
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped pecans
9×13-inch baking pan
Large mixing bowl
Kitchen spoon or wooden spoon
Wire cooling rack
Electric mixer (optional)
Step 1: Line a 9 x 13-inch pan with parchment paper, leaving a few inches of overhang on each side. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Step 2: Set aside 2/3 cup dry cake mix to be used later.
Step 3: In a large bowl, beat the rest of the cake mix, melted butter, and 1 egg until it is combined and crumbly. Press the mixture into the prepared pan.
Step 4: Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the base is beginning to turn golden brown.
Step 5: While it is baking, wash out the mixing bowl and prepare the pecan pie filling.
Mix together the reserved dry cake mix, brown sugar, corn syrup, 3 eggs, vanilla, and salt. Beat thoroughly for about 5 minutes. This is most easily done using a hand mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer on low speed, but you can also mix it by hand if you prefer.
Step 6: Once you take the baking dish out of the oven, pour the pecan pie layer base over the partially baked crust and sprinkle the top with chopped pecans.
Step 7: Turn up the oven to 375 degrees and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the filling is set.
Step 8: Take the pan out and allow it to cool on a wire rack. Once cool, remove it from the baking pan by pulling up on the edges of the parchment sling.
If you find that it is sticking to the sides of the pan, shimmy it back and forth a little bit and it should release.
Step 9: Cut the pecan pie cake into bars with a sharp knife and enjoy!
How To Store Leftover Pecan Pie Cake Bars
Store any leftover dessert bars in an airtight container or in the baking dish covered tightly in aluminum foil or plastic wrap for up to 4 days.
Can I Freeze These Pecan Pie Cake Bars?
Yes! Allow the layer bars to cool to room temperature and remove them from the baking pan. You can cut them into bars or leave them as a whole cake.
If you have cut them into bars – place them into a freezer-safe container or freezer bag in a single layer, adding a layer of wax paper or parchment paper between layers. Freeze for up to 3 months for the best results.
If you are freezing this as a whole cake – wrap the cake tightly in plastic wrap or Press & Seal wrap. Follow that with a layer of aluminum foil. Freeze for up to 3 months for the best results.
Can I Make These Bars Ahead Of Time?
Yes! It’s incredibly easy to make these ahead of time so that you can have a pecan surprise bar whenever you want one.
Follow the original recipe and allow it to cool completely after baking. You can then choose to refrigerate it for up to 4 days or freeze it (following the instructions above) for up to 3 months.
Can I Omit The Nuts In This Pecan Pie Bar Recipe?
Yes! If you have a nut allergy in the house, you can omit the nuts and use an allergy-friendly replacement.
A few good options to try are cranberries, granola, or even a crunchy cereal like Corn Flakes or Rice Krispies. You can use chocolate chips, but they will mostly melt, making this more of a chocolate pecan pie without the pecans, so consider adding a second option as well.
Are You Looking For More Delicious Desserts? Here Are Some Of My Favorites:
- Chocolate Marshmallow Cookies
- Champagne Glass Cupcakes (A Fun Party Favor!)
- Easy Chocolate Scotcharoos
- Blackberry Cheesecake Eggrolls
Pyrex Deep 5.2-Qt (9Farberware Nonstick Bakeware Baking Pan / Nonstick Cake Pan, Rectangle – 9 Inch x 13 Inch, GrayKitchenAid Classic Mixing Bowls, Set of 3, Empire Red, 2 quartsPyrex Smart Essentials 3-Piece Prepware Mixing Bowl Set, 1-Qt, 1.5-Qt ,and 2.5-Qt Glass Mixing Bowls, Dishwasher, Microwave and Freezer SafeMHCC 5-Speed Electric Hand Mixer with Snap-On Storage Case, Whisk Beaters, 250-Watt-BlackWilton Excelle Elite 3-Tier Cooling Rack for Cookies, Cake and More – Cool Batches of Cookies, Cake Layers or Finger Foods, Black
- 1 box yellow cake mix, divided
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 4 large eggs, divided
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Line a 9 x 13-inch pan with parchment paper, leaving a few inches of overhang on each side. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Set aside 2/3 cup dry cake mix to be used later.
- In a large bowl, beat the rest of the cake mix, melted butter, and 1 egg until it is combined and crumbly. Press it into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cake base is beginning to turn golden brown.
- While it is baking, wash out the mixing bowl and prepare the pecan pie filling.
- Mix together the reserved dry cake mix, brown sugar, corn syrup, 3 eggs, vanilla, and salt. Beat thoroughly for about 5 minutes. This is most easily done using an electric mixer, but you can also mix it by hand if you prefer.
- Once you take the baking dish out of the oven, pour the filling over the partially baked crust and sprinkle the top with chopped pecans.
- Turn up the oven to 375 degrees and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the filling is set.
- Take the pan out and allow it to cool on a wire rack. Once cool, remove it from the baking pan by pulling up on the edges of the parchment sling.
- Cut the pecan pie cake into bars with a sharp knife and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Hamilton Beach Classic Stand and Hand Mixer, 4 Quarts, 6 Speeds with QuickBurst, Bowl Rest, 290 Watts Peak Power, Black and Stainless
OXO Good Grips 3-Piece Wooden Spoon Set
Tebery 2 Pack Black Heavy-Duty Wire Cooking Rack Baking Racks, Nonstick Baking & Cooling Grid for Roasting, Cooking, Grilling, Drying - 16" x 10"
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 351Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 389mgCarbohydrates: 58gFiber: 1gSugar: 45gProtein: 3g
This calculation is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a doctor or dietitian. This calculator is a guide, but makes no guarantee of being exact or fully accurate.