These Turtle Rice Krispie Treats are a delicious twist on a classic! Loaded with caramel, chocolate and pecans, these gooey treats are a win!
Caramel Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
Since classic Rice Krispie Treats are a dessert that everyone loves, I thought it was time again to put a fun twist on a staple. These Caramel Turtle Rice Krispie Treats are easy to make and loaded with gooey marshmallow cereal treats, rich chocolate, melted caramel, and crunchy pecans!
While this Rice Krispie Treats recipe with a twist might appear complicated, it really isn’t. A no-bake dessert with simple ingredients that you can get at any grocery store, these are the ultimate Rice Krispie treats.
This is not a knock on the regular Rice Krispie bars – because they are incredible just as they are – but it is always fun to look for the perfect twist as well. And chock full of flavor and texture, these are incredibly yummy treats.
An extra amazing chocolatey dessert that everyone will love, these Turtle Krispie Treats have surprises stirred right in. Plus, no one will be able to get over the deliciously gooey chocolate caramel topping and pecans.
Perfect for a birthday party or a bake sale, this will easily be a huge hit!
- While these crispy treats may look vegetarian, marshmallows contain gelatin, so they are not. You could swap out your mini marshmallows in this recipe (I used Kraft marshmallows) with a vegetarian or vegan alternative though.
- To melt the various ingredients for your cereal bars, you can use the microwave, a large saucepan on the stovetop over low heat, or a double boiler.
- You can use milk chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips of you prefer them to semi-sweet. White chocolate would not work as well.
- You can line the baking dish with parchment paper or wax paper, but you spraying liberally with nonstick cooking spray will give you the best results as far as a flat base.
How To Make Caramel Turtle Rice Krispies Treats
Caramel Turtle Rice Krispie Treats Ingredients:
6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
10.5 oz bag miniature marshmallows
8 caramel squares
3 tablespoons butter, softened
1 3/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
1 cup chopped pecans, divided
8×8-inch baking dish
Large microwave-safe bowl
Small microwave-safe bowl
Kitchen spoon or wooden spoon
Step 1: Grease an 8×8″ baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and dice 4 caramels into small cubes.
Step 2: In a large microwavable bowl, heat your marshmallows, butter, and caramel bits in the microwave for 1-2 minutes, until your marshmallows become puffy and the butter is mostly melted.
Mix your marshmallow and soft caramels mixture halfway through the microwaving process.
If you prefer not to microwave butter or the other ingredients, you can use a double boiler for this recipe instead.
Take your three ingredients and set them over medium heat, mixing until all of the ingredients are melted together. At that point, remove them from the heat and continue to the next step. (This will increase your cook time.)
Step 3: Add 1/4 cup of chocolate chips and 1/2 cup of pecans to the melted marshmallow mixture and mix well.
Step 4: Add 6 cups of Rice Krispies to the mixture and stir well until the cereal is completely coated.
Step 5: Once everything is well incorporated, scoop your cereal mixture into your greased baking pan and press your Rice Krispies firmly into the bottom of the pan using a potato masher. You want them as flat as possible.
Step 6: Place the baking pan in the freezer for 10 minutes to help it cool quickly.
Step 7: In a microwave safe bowl, melt 1 1/2 cups of chocolate chips in the microwave for 2-3 minutes on 50% power, stirring every 30 seconds until melted.
Step 8: Pour your melted chocolate over your Rice Krispies mixture and spread it out in an even layer across the whole pan using a spatula.
Step 9: In a small microwavable bowl, heat your remaining 4 caramels in the microwave for 30 seconds and quickly swirl the melted caramel sauce into your melted chocolate. This will leave you with a chocolate caramel layer.
Step 10: Top your gooey caramel with 1/2 cup of chopped pecans and place the baking pan into the fridge for about 30 minutes to let the chocolate harden.
Step 11: Cut your Turtle Rice Krispie Treats into small squares and enjoy!
How To Store Leftover Caramel Turtle Rice Krispie Treats
These Rice Krispie squares can be stored in an airtight container or in the baking dish covered tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil at room temperature for up to a week.
Can I Substitute Almonds For Pecans?
Pecans are used in this recipe because they are used in classic chocolate turtles candy, but you can replace the pecans with almonds, peanuts, walnuts or any other nut that you’d prefer.
What Can I Use Instead Of Nuts In These Rice Krispie Caramel Squares?
If you are managing a nut allergy or prefer to make these Rice Krispies bars without nuts, you’ll want to replace them with something that has texture.
My best suggestion here would be nut-free granola so that you still have the crunch, but you could also go with an alternative like dried cranberries and sprinkle some sea salt on top of the chocolate layer.
Are You Looking For More Delicious Chocolate Desserts? Here Are Some Of My Favorites:
- Oreo Cookies Chocolate Trifle
- Hot Chocolate Cheesecake Dip
- Oreo Rice Krispie Treats
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Eclair Cake
- Frozen Chocolate Covered Bananas
- Easy Oreo Stuffed Brownies
- Rice Krispie Treats Ice Cream Bowls
AmazonCommercial Mixing Bowls, 3 Piece Set, Lids Not IncludedPyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3-Piece Set, Nesting, Microwave and Dishwasher Safe)TEEVEA Silicone Spatula Set Rubber Jar Spoon Spatula Kitchen Utensils Non-Stick Heat Resistant for Scraping Cooking Baking Mixing Tools 4 PackOXO Good Grips Freezer-to-Oven Safe 2 Qt Glass Baking Dish with LidUSA Pan Bakeware Square Cake Pan, 8 inch, Nonstick & Quick Release Coating, Made in the USA from Aluminized SteelPotato Masher, McoMce Potato Masher Stainless Steel with Smooth Anti-Slip Grip, Masher for Pressing Bean, Vegetable, Fruits and Baby Food, Sturdy & Easy to Use Kitchen Gadget Potato Masher(11 Inches)
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 10.5 oz bag miniature marshmallows
- 8 caramel squares
- 3 Tbsp butter, softened
- 1 3/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1 cup chopped pecans, divided
- Grease an 8x8" baking pan with a non stick cooking spray and dice 4 caramels into small cubes.
- In a microwave safe mixing bowl, heat your marshmallows, butter, and caramel pieces in the microwave for 1-2 minutes, until your marshmallows become puffy and the butter is mostly melted. Feel free to stop and mix your marshmallow mixture halfway through the microwaving process.
- Add 1/4 cup of chocolate chips and 1/2 cup of pecans to the marshmallow combination and mix well.
- Add 6 cups of Rice Krispies to the mixture and stir well with a wooden or metal spoon.
- Once everything is well incorporated, scoop your Rice Krispies into your greased baking pan and press your Rice Krispies firmly in your pan using a potato masher. You want them as flat as possible.
- Place the baking pan in the freezer for 10 minutes to help it cool quickly.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt 1 1/2 cups of chocolate chips in the microwave for 2-3 minutes on 50% power, stirring every 30 seconds until melted.
- Pour your melted chocolate over your now cooled Rice Krispie treats and spread it out evenly using a spatula.
- In a microwave safe bowl, heat your remaining 4 caramels in the microwave for 30 seconds and quickly swirl the melted caramels into your melted chocolate.
- Top your chocolate caramel with 1/2 cup of chopped pecans and place the baking pan into the fridge for about 30 minutes to let the chocolate harden.
- Cut your Turtle Rice Krispie Treats into small squares and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Luvan Glass Mixing Bowl with Airtight Lids, (1QT, 1.5QT, 2.5QT, 3.7QT), 8-piece Kitchen Salad Bowls Clear Nesting Big Cooking Bowl, Microwave Oven Safe for Meal Prep,storage,Baking,Serving
Chef Craft Select Sturdy Masher, 10.25 inch, Stainless Steel/Black
USA Pan Bakeware Square Cake Pan, 8 inch, Nonstick & Quick Release Coating, Made in the USA from Aluminized Steel
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 357Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 131mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 2gSugar: 30gProtein: 3g
This calculation is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a doctor or dietitian. This calculator is a guide, but makes no guarantee of being exact or fully accurate.