Rice Krispies Nests
Whether you need an easy dessert for spring or Rice Krispie treats for Easter, this Rice Krispies Nests recipe is bound to be a hit! As Rice Krispie treat ideas go, if you have a muffin pan handy, anyone can make this. Place some edible grass and M&M’s “eggs” on top of your “nests” and you’re set! They would pair perfectly with my Brownie Blooms chocolate brownies if you need additional desserts!
My kids like to help me in the kitchen, but they always like to see the full picture of what we’re making before we begin. So something like these Rice Krispies Nests are ideas that most children should be able to conjure as they are working.
There are so many places that these would come in handy – everywhere from a bake sale to a birthday party to a treat on the sports field. This is the kind of unique dessert that you can break out every season and be known for!
Rice Krispies Nests Recipe
10 oz bag miniature marshmallows
3 Tbsp butter
6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
M&M’s Easter peanut chocolate candy
Green edible Easter grass (green apple)
Grease a large muffin pan with non stick cooking spray. Heat your marshmallows and butter in a microwave safe bowl for 2 minutes or until your marshmallows get puffy and your butter is slightly melted. Feel free to stir every 30 seconds if you’d like.
Remove your bowl from the microwave and mix in your cereal. Stir until the cereal is evenly coated. It will be sticky, but it should be!
With a spoon, scoop your coated Rice Krispies into your greased muffin cups, pressing the center down to make a nest like shape. You can use a small juice glass to help with the shape, but it’s not necessary if you feel able to do it with your fingers.
Freeze your pan for 15 minutes to help the marshmallow and Rice Krispies harden and retain their shape.
After 15 minutes, fill each nest with a small amount of frosting.
Break apart your edible grass and stick it onto the frosting. Add three peanut M&M’s to the nest and serve!
If you have trouble finding “grass” during the off-seasons, you can opt for something like apple fruit leathers or green Fruit Roll-Ups. Just cut them into small strips or even tiny squares and layer them the way you see in the photos. Enjoy!
- 10 oz bag miniature marshmallows
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- M&M's Easter peanut chocolate candy
- Green edible Easter grass (green apple)
- Vanilla frosting
- Grease a large muffin pan with non stick cooking spray.
- Heat your marshmallows and butter in a microwave safe bowl for 2 minutes or until your marshmallows get puffy and your butter is slightly melted. Stir every 30 seconds if desired.
- Mix in your cereal until the cereal is evenly coated.
- Scoop your coated Rice Krispies into your greased muffin cups, pressing the center down to make a nest like shape.
- Freeze for 15 minutes.
- Fill each nest with a small amount of frosting.
- Break apart your edible grass and stick it onto the frosting.
- Add 3 peanut M&M's to the nest and serve.