Salted Caramel Cookies
Holiday cookies make great gifts and excellent treats to serve to your guests at any gathering. These Salted Caramel Cookies are both delicious and look amazing! Plus, if you have any little ones in the house, this is a great dessert to get them involved in baking. My daughter is able to follow all of the steps and is always amazingly proud of the result.
Salted Caramel Cookies Recipe
1 1/2 sticks butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 3/4 cups flour
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/8 tsp salt
Half bag of Kraft caramels
1/2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp milk or cream
Sea salt for garnish
Chocolate frosting (optional)
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and set a baking sheet aside. In a large bowl and using an electric mixer, combine the eggs, butter, sugar and vanilla. Beat them until smooth. Add your flour, salt and cream of tartar and continue to mix until a soft dough forms.
Roll your dough into 2-inch balls and place them on the cookie sheet. Lightly press your thumb down in the middle of each ball to create a “well” (that will later hold your caramel). Bake for about 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
While your cookies are cooling, start on the caramel. Using a microwave safe dish, microwave the caramels and butter using intervals of 20 seconds. Between each 20 seconds, mix thoroughly.
Once melted, stir in the cream/milk and heat again for 20 seconds. Let it stand to cool for about 15 minutes.
Once cooled, spoon the caramel into a pastry bag. Tie it off at the back and snip a corner off the front. Pipe your caramel into the center of each cookie. Sprinkle the cookie with sea salt.
If you want to add a chocolate zig-zag (like mine have), put some chocolate frosting (straight from the baking shelf is just fine) into a pastry bag and pipe that on as well. Allow the cookies to set for about 20 minutes before serving. Yields about 24 cookies.
KitchenAid KHM512ER 5-Speed Ultra Power Hand Mixer, Empire RedMcCormick Gourmet Cream Of Tartar, 2.62 ozCeltic Sea Salt, Fine Ground, 16 OunceKraft Vanilla Caramels 11 ozAmazonBasics 3-Piece Baking Sheet SetVastar 30 in 1 Cake Decorating Supplies, 24 Pieces Professional Stainless Steel DIY Icing Tip Set Tools with 3 Reusable Coupler & Storage Case & 3 Sizes Reusable Silicone Cake Decorating Pastry Bags
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 sticks butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Half bag of Kraft caramels
- 1/2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp milk or cream
- Sea salt for garnish
- Chocolate frosting tub (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and set a baking sheet aside.
- In a large bowl and using an electric mixer, combine eggs, butter, sugar and vanilla. Beat until smooth.
- Add the flour, salt and cream of tartar. Mix until a soft dough forms.
- Roll into 2-inch balls and place on the cookie sheet
- Lightly press your thumb down in the middle of each ball to create a "well".
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove and allow to cool.
- Using a microwave safe dish, microwave the caramels and butter using intervals of 20 seconds, stirring between each interval.
- Once melted, stir in the milk/cream and microwave again for 20 seconds.
- Stir again and allow the mixture to cool for about 15 minutes.
- Spoon your caramel into a pastry bag.
- Tie off the end and snip the corner off the bottom.
- Pipe the caramel into the center of each cookie.
- Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Spoon some chocolate frosting (if desired) into a piping bag cut the tip to apply. Draw a zig-zag pattern on each cookie.