Potato Chip Chicken
If you have picky eaters in your house, try this Potato Chip Chicken and see if you have a hit! Most kids find it more fun to eat drumsticks and if you explain that they are just potato chip drumsticks, hopefully you’ll have an excited group sitting down at the table. Let’s face it adults, we want the potato chip chicken too! Pair these with Crispy Asparagus and Macaroni Egg Salad to help put together a full meal!
Potato Chip Chicken Recipe
6 chicken drumsticks
2 Tbsp Tony Chachere’s Original Creole Seasoning
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 cups potato chips, coarsely crushed
3 Tbsp freshly ground black pepper
2 cups vegetable oil
salt to taste
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Sprinkle your raw chicken with Creole seasoning and set it aside. Place your flour in a wide, shallow bowl – something easy enough to put the entire drumstick in.
In a second shallow bowl, whisk the eggs and buttermilk together. In a third shallow bowl, mix the potato chips (already coarsely crushed) and pepper.
First, dip and cover the drumstick in the flour, shaking off any excess. Next, coat your drumstick in the egg mixture and then immediately dip in the chip mixture. Give the now crusted chicken a few presses to help the chips adhere to the drumstick.
In a large skillet, heat 1 cup of oil over medium heat. Add 3 drumsticks and cook until browned (roughly 5 or 6 minutes). Transfer them to a rack set on top of a baking sheet. Pour off the oil from your skillet and wipe it out. Repeat your frying with the remaining 1 cup oil and 3 more drumsticks.
Place six now-browned drumsticks in the oven and bake until the chicken is cooked through, 45 – 50 minutes or until an instant read thermometer reads 165 degrees (not touching the bone). Serve immediately and enjoy!
- 6 chicken drumsticks
- 2 Tbsp Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups potato chips, coarsely crushed
- 3 Tbsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Sprinkle the chicken with Creole seasoning.
- Place flour in a wide, shallow bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs and butter milk together.
- In a third bowl, mix the crushed potato chips and pepper.
- Dip the chicken in the flour, shaking off any excess.
- Coat in the egg mixture and then the chip mixture, pressing to adhere.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 cup oil over medium heat.
- Add 3 or 4 chicken drumsticks. Cook until browned (roughly 5 to 6 minutes).
- Transfer to a rack set on top of a baking sheet.
- Clean the skillet and repeat frying with the remaining 1 cup oil and 3 drumsticks.
- In the oven, bake until the chicken is cooked through, 45 - 50 minutes or until an instant read thermometer reads 165 not touching the bone.
- Serve immediately.