This Easy Egg Drop Soup is just like what you’d get at your favorite Chinese restaurant! With simple ingredients, anyone can make this tasty soup!
Simple Egg Drop Soup Recipe
If you love Chinese food, want to save on takeout, and make it in your own home, you have to try my Easy Egg Drop Soup recipe! With minimal ingredients and a few simple steps, you can master this easy soup the very first time you try cooking it.
Also called Egg Flower Soup, this beautiful Asian recipe is a perfect quick lunch or addition to dinner. An easy homemade egg drop soup recipe that the entire family will love, you’ll all be impressed with the flavors in such a simple soup.
I am also a fan of other Asian appetizers, so this is a great recipe to pair with some high-quality wontons, egg rolls, or potstickers that you can find in the freezer section at your grocery store.
This classic egg drop soup recipe has basic ingredients that are likely already in your kitchen. Add some black pepper and/or green onions to add a little kick or omit them for a milder flavor. Enjoy!
- You can easily turn this into a keto egg drop soup with this tip. You have your choice of soy sauce or tamari sauce as an ingredient, so you can easily make this egg drop soup gluten-free and keto if you choose tamari.
- When adding the whisked eggs to the chicken stock base, be sure to add it slowly while stirring with a fork. If you add it all at once, you won’t get the small egg flowers and ribbons you’re looking for.
- It does not matter whether you use a wooden spoon or a slotted spoon while stirring this soup. The egg is not so delicate that you can easily break it up too much.
- If you have sesame oil and would like to add it, you can add 1 teaspoon of sesame oil, which will give your soup a slightly more earthy, nutty flavor. I would not make this addition if you need a nut-free soup, as sesame oil can trigger a nut allergy reaction.
How Do You Make Egg Drop Soup?
Egg Drop Soup Ingredients:
4 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon soy sauce (or tamari if you want to make this keto/gluten-free)
2 eggs, beaten
Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
chopped green onion for garnish
Medium or large saucepan
Large kitchen spoon
Step 1: In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, add the chicken broth and soy sauce. Allow it to simmer for 5 minutes.
Step 2: Add your raw eggs to a bowl and beat them with a fork. Set them aside until your hot broth is finished cooking.
Step 3: Turn the stove down to medium heat. Slowly add the beaten eggs in a very thin stream while stirring the simmering broth with a fork in a circular motion.
This should result in beautiful egg ribbons within your hot soup. Turn off the heat.
Step 4: Pour each portion into a small bowl and garnish with green onions.
Offer salt and pepper at the table so that everyone can customize their bowl of egg drop soup to taste.
How To Store Leftover Egg Drop Soup
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Can I Make This A Thicker Soup?
Yes! The recipe listed will result in a thinner soup resembling what you would see in Chinese restaurants and as you see in my images.
The best way to do this is with a thickening agent like corn starch. To make your soup thicker, remove a little bit of the broth and add a small amount of cornstarch to that bit.
Slowly stir the thicker broth back into the pot and you’ll see all of your delicious egg drop soup thicken.
Can I Make This Delicious Recipe Vegetarian?
Yes! This can easily be turned into a vegetarian egg drop soup by replacing the chicken broth with vegetable broth.
I’ve never seen Chinese dinners at a restaurant that have a vegetarian egg drop soup recipe available, so this is an opportunity for vegetarians that won’t come around all that often!
Are You Looking For Some Other Delicious Soup Recipes? Here Are Some Of My Favorites:
- Crockpot Cheeseburger Soup With Bacon
- Classic Chicken Noodle Soup
- Easy Slow Cooker Meatball Soup
- Mac and Cheese Soup
- Meatball Kale Soup With Couscous
Porcelain Dessert Bowls Cereal bowl – Ceramic Bowl Set of 6 – Colorful Small Bowls for Ice Cream | Soup | Cereal | Rice | Snack | Side Dish | Condiment Microwave and Dishwasher Safe -4.75 InchSweese 107.001 Porcelain Bouillon Cups – 8 Ounce Dessert Bowls – Set of 6, WhiteDOWAN Soup Spoon Ceramic, Asian Soup Spoons for Wonton Pho Miso Ramen, Japanese White Small Appetizer Spoon Sets of 12, Bone ChinaChinese Soup Spoons Ceramic Asian Japanese Serving Spoon QHC KOCK 6.8 Inch Bright White Deep Porcelain Pho Spoon for Home Kitchen Supplies, Ramen Wonton Dumpling Miso, Noodle, Wontons, Set of 4Hiware 10 Pairs Reusable Chopsticks Dishwasher Safe, Non-Slip Chop Sticks Set Japanese Style, 9.5 InchGorilla Grip Oversized Cutting Board, 3 Piece, Easy Grip Handle, Juice Grooves, Non-Slip, Extra Large Thick Chopping Boards, Dishwasher Safe, Non Porous, Kitchen, Professional Serving, Set of 3, Black
This recipe will result in a thinner soup as you see in the images, but you can make it a bit thicker of that's your preference. To do that, remove a bit of the broth and add a little cornstarch to that bit. Slowly stir the thicker broth back into the pot and you'll see the entire soup thicken. As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 55Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 98mgSodium: 1284mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 5g
This recipe will result in a thinner soup as you see in the images, but you can make it a bit thicker of that's your preference. To do that, remove a bit of the broth and add a little cornstarch to that bit. Slowly stir the thicker broth back into the pot and you'll see the entire soup thicken.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Some of my other favorites are:
- My breakfast bowl recipe is a great one.
- These simple stuffed mushrooms are perfect for anyone.
- Have some crescent roll tacos for dinner tonight.
- When you see this cupcake frozen will be on your mind.
- My pasta and egg salad is a yummy option.
- Have fried cinnamon roll balls for dessert today.
- If you’ve wondered how to make candied carrots, I can show you.
- My pork chops with bacon are super tasty.
- This tater tot hotdish with cream of chicken is super tasty.
- Have some doritos chicken fingers for your next meal.